Two useful plugins to compress images on your site January 15, 2015
Most of the PageSpeed test for WordPress hosted sites leads users to the ‘Optimize Images’ suggestion, which asks them to appropriately format and compress images to save bytes of their data. But how exactly can you compress scores of images that make a crucial component of a content rich website? Fortunately, there are certain user friendly ways to compress them in the form of two useful plugins:
- EWWW Image Optimizer: This plugin makes use of jpegtran, optipng/pngout, and gifsicle to compress the images within WordPress. In this way, you can improve the download speed of your web pages as well. It has an Image Optimizer which can automatically reproduce the images to the smallest size possible without having any sort of impact on its quality.
WP Smush.It: It has an API that performs the following optimizations:
- Stripping Meta Data from JPEGs
- Optimizing JPEG compression
- Conversion of certain GIFs to indexed PNGs
- Stripping the un-used colors from indexed pages
Once you download the plugin, you will not have to do anything as Smush. It will take care of the images without requiring any sort of intervention. You also have the option of downloading Bulk Smush.It program to compress the images that have already been uploaded on your site.
So, just download the plugin of your choice and enjoy the benefits.